As you may or may not already know, refined sugar is found in just about anything we eat these days. Now you may be thinking to yourself "so what! what's the big deal?" Well I am here to tell you that first it is a big deal, and we should be more concerned about the amount of sugar we are consuming on a daily basis. Not to mention it is one of the main reasons why have a high obesity rate in North America.
Here are some quick facts about sugar:
- Promotes fat storage at an increased rate
- Causes your body to become Insulin Resistant
- Increases your Heart Disease Risk
- Weakens your Immune System
- Has Addictive qualities
- Speeds up the Aging Process
- Sugar is Empty Calories
So now you may be thinking "Ok I am going to start eating less sugar" GREAT!!!!! But cutting back and eliminating sugar from your diet is not as easy as you may think. The sad reality is that once sugar has become a part of your daily diet the body craves sugar which causes you to eat it even more frequently then you may realize, but I can help with the battle of how to eliminate sugar from your diet.
Here are a few ways to help start eliminating sugar from your diet:
- Try having more fruit - fruit are full of natural occurring sugars which can provide the body with what it needs for those times where you feel like something sweet.
- Eat more protein - Eating more protein causes the body to feel full and satisfied longer and helps reduce the chance of getting "sugar cravings"
- Stay away from artificial sweeteners - Simply put they are unhealthy, and still play a role in causing "sugar cravings" and in my opinion when something is chemically created its better off not in your body.
- Indulge with one small square of dark chocolate (70% or higher cocoa) - for those of you who may be having a hard time cutting the sugar loose.
- (BEST FOR LAST) Start Exercising - Making sure to exercise on a regular basis will cause your body to naturally stop craving sugar, reason being the more you exercise the more our "feel good" hormones are released and therefore, reducing and eliminating our need for sugar. And let's not forget helping to reduce our waist size and decreasing health risks.